SERVER MERGE

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Krystal, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Raeven Flame

Raeven Flame Member

Wow you have 30 - 40 people? We have maybe a dozen active for the whole server. lucky to see 6 people in any given event. I hope they do merges soon but I think you guys are lucky that you have so many.

2. ❤Ebby~Rose❤

❤Ebby~Rose❤ Registered Users

Hi player [12640664]

Can you please let me know which server you belong to. Dragon Blood has began merging servers but there is a lot of information that must first be considered to prevent merging lope sided servers. If you feel your server is in desperate need of a merge we will investigate gather info and proceed based on findings. Thank you in advance for this info.

Tyne Kodlar likes this.
  3. Raeven Flame

Raeven Flame Member

Server 20, MommysRule has been on this server and saw for herself we had 9 people total show up for guild battle and that was a good day.

4. ❤Ebby~Rose❤

❤Ebby~Rose❤ Registered Users

Okay thank you for providing this information. We will update our reports and hopefully we will be able to help solve this issue soon.

5. player [12640664]

player [12640664] New Member

Well server 6 has gone down badly..only 3 - 6 peeps turn up for guild battle and thats our own guild..Our Guild consists of about 8 actives and 1 other guild with 3 people..we tried merging the guilds and still dead..servers gone dead now..please merge us..i know u said server 6 not up for merge yet but we are in serious need of people..

6. Raeven Flame

Raeven Flame Member

you just said in the News section on 119 highest lvl post that your server is active and a lot of players are spending money, so is it active or isn't it?

7. player [12640664]

player [12640664] New Member

come and have a look at our server and u decide or a moderator

8. Butterfly [19892931]

Butterfly [19892931] New Member

So was the complaint ever resolved?

9. Nathan Hall

Nathan Hall Active Member

Here's a question, if there are so many servers that lack people being active on them and the game has to constantly merge servers with others, why are new servers constantly being created? Here's a radical idea, stop making new servers which forces people to join servers already there, thereby increasing active number of players on established servers.

Regarding how the game doesn't want to merge lopsided servers, I'm sorry, but S54 had 2 people who were over 1.2 mil BR, most being under 650K br. We were merged into a server where 30+ people were over 1 million BR. Since then we've been merged a second time, and many have quit because the server is so lopsided. And funnily enough, of those 2 people who caused you to think we needed to be merged, 1 quit, the other barely plays at all, except for Cross Server to help out her team. Even the people who've tried spending hundreds of dollars have been quitting because of it.

Sounds really lopsided to me. Additionally, there were many many complaints about the mergers, and even players from the servers we were merged into stated our players had no chance to compete. We were told nothing could be done. I'm sorry, but you had pre-merge backups of both servers, those backups could have been restored. Any company who claims not to backup data, or have those backups readily available, in case of cyber security attacks, hardware failures, etc is lying. I've been in IT, professionally, since 1987, and not one company, from a mom and pop store to small and enterprise level businesses have no backups to restore data. Not doing so could cost them thousands or millions of dollars.

When I ran my MUD, we backed up our data every 4 hrs, if the MUD ever went down and we needed to, we could easily restore player data. Every single game I've ever played online has been able to restore player data, even after merges. It is a simple process: Roll back changes to the code, then restore backup from before the code change was implemented, as standard practice is to backup data just before making changes when taking the servers down to implement new code. Depending on the database size, it could take a couple of hours, and people might lose a couple of hours of progress, but that's it.

10. Nooberix

Nooberix Member

They open new servers to get new players and players who want to restart fresh after learning on the server they were. No new player wants to join an old server as they would be so far behind others.

11. Nathan Hall

You are just as guilt of unprofessional behavior by saying "it is very obvious you are not an adult." Honestly, MommysRule, that is actually more offensive than her usage of "code monkeys" which is something that IT has used to refer to programmers for about 20 years. What gives you the right to disparage Krystal's age or comment on her maturity level or her age?

She has a right to her opinion, and it was rather obvious from her post that she is very frustrated with the game, and with being sent non-working links to enter a ticket, links provided by a moderator. And I realize she may have bent the forum rules, but is there no room for empathy for the players growing frustrations with the game, the constant lopsided merges, and lack of customer service?

Additionally, you state to Krystal to "in the future please state it in a calm and reasonable manner without resorting to vulgar language or childish name calling." By doing what you did, you were not acting in a calm nor reasonable manner without resorting to vulgar language or childish name calling" either.

I have screenshot her post, as well as your response, and I am going to contact 101XP about it. And I will also screenshot my post about this as well, in case you once again decide to modify my post, or delete it.

I am also requesting Scooby or Ebby or another Moderator to please bring this to your bosses, as I have seen you act in similar heavy handed fashion at other times. I don't recall anywhere that a moderator is allowed to insult the players of the game., it unprofessional, and unbecoming of a person who represents 101XP, in my opinion.

12. Nathan Hall

You mean like they still end up so far behind, because not long after the server is opened, it gets merged with an older server and those people still can't compete anymore?

13. Nooberix

Nooberix Member

Opening new servers and merging servers happens in most browser games. Going back on a merger has never happened ( at least not at the numerous games I have played) as that would aggravate more people. You have to remember that they cannot make everyone happy.

14. MommysRule

MommysRule Active Member

Hi KingArthyr, First of all let me say that I urge you, and all players, to report any mod who you feel is breaking the rules or over stepping their authority. Even if that mod is me. Unfortunately you are looking at one response to one comment from many months ago, and you have not viewed the whole picture. The forum user in question had posted many posts in which she called people derogatory names, used very offensive language that had to be edited, and was also so disruptive and abusive in game that she was banned by 101xp themselves, not me. You are not currently taking any of that under consideration though. 101xp will, however, do a full investigation of my comment, and will make their determination from there. Yes I agree I could have been a bit more diplomatic. But this was after a whole pile of abuse by that person, both in game and forums. I am only human, and I make mistakes too. However, I tried adamantly to calm this person. When she used the term code monkey, she was not using a general term for coders. She was being negative toward the game developers, as her many other name calling posts can attest to. You may want to click on Krystal's name, check her other posts, and look at some of the other threads that are still up and were not deleted due to overly severe rule breaking. I am ready to face the investigation over your report that 101xp will initiate. I also know that I work very hard and do my very best for the players of Dragon Blood. I do thank you for holding us mods to task, and I will never be upset about that from any player.

15. Nooberix

Nooberix Member

Sheesh people forget that mods are players too and are prone to mistakes and slip ups. They like to enjoy and play the game. Just because they have a mod tag does not mean they are perfect. Have to also say Kingarthyr for someone who claims to know so much about online gaming you come out make these comments. It is a known fact from you constant posts that you are anti merger and are still upset about the merger that happened to your server. There are 2 things you can do about. Either accept it and continue playing or quit. There a lot of things wrong with this game ( nothing that cannot be easily fixed though) but the most important is their slack customer service. I would rather they work on getting that fixed rather than worry about your server merges. But that is just me and my opinion.

16. Nathan Hall

Nooberix, I'm not anti-merger, I'm anti-lopsided merger, there is a difference. Ive been part of over 150 mergers on games throughout the years. When they are done properly taking into account everyone, not just the highest x number of players, it can be a great experience. When that does not occur, the merger causes absolute chaos, frustration and ill-will towards the game.

And I have provided information on several way to fix the lack of balance in the game, over the last several months, and many of them are relatively easy to code. I've seen changes such as I have suggested implemented correctly and well in a week's time by a single developer. You claim to have read my posts and have made a few unwarranted assumptions, based on your own prejudgements, rather than facts. In every post you claim is anti-merger you missed key facts, such as the disparity between the two servers in users, average strength of the people on both servers, etc. In each instance, I was against merging due to those factors, and others that were similar.

Additionally, I have also shown that randomly placing characters into arena after a merge is also detrimental. It is not difficult to write code that would compare BR between players and place them in a proper position in arena when merging the databases. I've seen it done several dozen times.

Now, regarding your comments about what I said towards MommysRule, yes, she is a player, yes she is human. She is also a moderator. She is intimately aware of the rules, as she is tasked to enforce them. And being in a position of authority of any kind, anyone who is a moderator, Game Master, etc should make extra effort to make sure they themselves do not break those same rules. In the games where I have been part of the management, or the game master, the moderators, and other management/representatives of the game were screened, and watched for months before being given those positions, with attention being given to how they react in the very situations MommysRule described. And if they've overstepped the lines, they were demoted and had to re-earn that position.

This has been the policy of most online entities I have been a part of as a member, player, moderator, management, even when I was a Guide on AOL, a SysOp or Co-Sysop on BBSes, DM, CT, moderator etc on various online games, as well as various guilds, etc. It is also how it works in the business world, etc. Those with responsibility must be kept to a higher standard, because if they aren't, they can cause havoc. If those who surround them do not require our leadership to obey the rules they're meant to enforce, if they ever start believing they're above those rules, we become faced with dictatorships, be they online in games or offline in the real world.

Just as you are entitled to your opinions, I am as well, as is everyone else.

MommysRule - While I both understand and can empathize with the situations leading up to your comments, the behavior still wasn't warranted. And regardless of what she said or did, that led up to it, and I'm sure it was as bad as you stated, it should have been handled differently, and an apology for your remarks should have been given. Yes, you're human, and you make mistakes. Part of that is when you do, you apologize for making the mistake and take ownership of it.

Zalgiris likes this.
  17. Nooberix

Nooberix Member

Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion but it has reached a stage where yours is not an opinion but ranting. The developers might be having a plan in their mind and I don't think they are going to change that. And I don't think MommysRule's needs to be taken to task as she has handled herself very professionally. Even people in charge have slip ups that is part of being human as we are not robots.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  18. Nathan Hall

Nooberix, the definition of "ranting" is as follows: to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way; rave:

At no time have I spoken violently, nor wildly. Have I been vehement? Yes, because it means passionate about something.

Being that each of my so-called rants gave precise, and logical reasoning why I had issue with a particular merge, they were in no way rants. Regarding MommysRule, the is your opinion. Mine is that a moderator, who enforces the rules, should be held to them as well, and if he/she breaks one, the least he/she should do is apologize. If you take issue with apologizing for your mistakes, then that is up to you. Common decency and good manners dictates otherwise.

Regarding the developers, they very well may have a plan; however that is difficult to ascertain without comment from or by them. And as I've stated on numerous occasions, many of these issues could be resolved with very little coding, and very quickly. As it has been more than 6 months or more that these same issues have plagued the game, I believe the players have given them more than enough time to resolve these same issues. After all, that is what they're paid for isn't it? Let's consider this, if there were glaring problems with your performance at work, how long do you think you would remain employed if you did nothing to fix those same problems your sloppy work brought about? In the corporate world, that time frame is typically less than 1 month, perhaps 2 at most. Therefore, logic would dictate that expecting paying customers to tolerate such glaring issues for 6 months without attempts to fix the issues, is beyond the usual timeframe.

19. Nooberix

Nooberix Member

Without any further arguments it is pretty simple. None of us are forced to play or pay in this game. You do not like the way the game is managed then time to move on to another game. That is how I play if I enjoy playing a game I will continue the day the enjoyment goes then I move on to another and so on so forth.

Not saying you are right or wrong but I think it is time to give the push for the way you want mergers to be handled a rest. A lot of players will agree with me that the most important thing they have to sort out is the customer service above everything else.

20. Nathan Hall

Nooberix, I play the game or rather stay with the game due to the people in my guild who have become friends, as well as the others on the server. And while I agree their customer service should be sorted out, that has absolutely nothing to do with the developers, so there is nothing that would prevent both issues from being dealt with concurrently.

There is a customer (lack of) service department within 101xp.com, and there is a development team, along with a slew of others, each have their own job function. You should expect a customer service rep to deal with code issues and bugs, nor should you expect developers to deal with customer service issues.

If you had an issue with your bill at a restaurant, would you be speaking to the coat check person or the parking attendant or chef? No, you'd speak to the waitstaff, and if they didn't resolve it, to the manager.